Mavis's Shoe

Author of two novels and a creative memoir.

Monday 11 July 2011

Past the First Post

Mavis's Shoe was published in March this year by Waverley Books and is a novel about the Clydebank Blitz as seen through the eyes of young girl. It's about what war is really like, what it means to be going about your business when suddenly bombs come raining down all around you. And it's about the importance of family and community and belonging. I love this book and I loved writing it. I hope everyone who reads it loves it too.

The story is, well, a story, but the background is all historically accurate right down to where the bombs dropped, and after the bombing it goes to one of my favourite places, Carbeth, which is a hut community not far from Clydebank where a lot of people ended up after being bombed out. Carbeth has a great story to tell too, but that's for another blog. I wrote the book so I could keep going to Carbeth. That's not true, by the way. But it's not far off it.

Here's the beginning of Mavis's Shoe:
'For those of you that don't know, this is my story of the bombing. There was trouble before it even started.'

1 comment:

  1. Such a good story, a long time since I read anything so unputdownable. (Love your header photo here too, by the way - very writerly! Wish my desk was writerly, instead of a tip.)

    ReplyDelete